The Office of National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) has released this draft Connecting Health and Care for the Nation: A Shared Nationwide Interoperability Roadmap for public comment. The draft Roadmap builds on its vision paper, Connecting Health and Care for the Nation: A 10-Year Vision to Achieve an Interoperable Health IT Infrastructure, issued in June 2014. The draft identifies the following core set of building blocks that are needed to achieve interoperability:
- Core technical standards and functions;
- Certification to support adoption and optimization of health IT products and services;
- Privacy and security protections for health information;
- Supportive business, clinical, cultural, and regulatory environments; and
- Rules of engagement and governance.
According to the draft Roadmap, as a first step, ONC will identify the best available technical standards for core interoperability functions, working through its Standards Committee.
Public comments on the draft may be submitted online to ONC by April 3, 2015.
ONC also released an infographic that highlights the 3 year, 6 year, and 10 year goals in the draft roadmap.