The U.S.Comptroller General has announced the appointment of the 11 members of the Physician-Focused Payment Model Technical Advisory Committee required by the Medicare Access and Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (MACRA). This federal advisory committee will provide its recommendations to the Secretary of Health and Human Services as she implements MACRA.
Appointed for a 3-year term that expires in October, 2018:
- Jeffrey Bailet, MD, otolaryngologist and President, Aurora Health Care Medical Group
- Robert Berenson, MD, Institute Fellow, Urban Institute
- Elizabeth Mitchell, President and CEO, Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement
- Kavita Patel, MD, doctor of internal medicine and Nonresident Senior Fellow, the Brookings Institution
Appointed for a 2-year term that expires in October, 2017:
- Rhonda M. Medows, MD, Executive Vice President of Population Health, Providence Health & Services
- Harold D. Miller, President and CEO, Center for Healthcare Quality and Payment Reform
- Len Nichols, PhD, Director, Center for Health Policy Research and Ethics, George Mason University
- Grace Terrell, MD, MMM, doctor of internal medicine and President and CEO, Cornerstone Health Care
Appointed for a 1-year term that expires in October, 2016:
- Paul Casale, MD, MPH, interventional cardiologist and Chief of Cardiology, Lancaster General Health
- Tim Ferris, MD, primary care internal medicine physician and Senior Vice President for Population Health Management, Partners HealthCare
- Bruce Steinwald, MBA, private consultant
Jeffrey Bailet and Elizabeth Mitchell have been named as the chair and vice-chair of the committee, and the committee’s first meeting will be held on February 1, 2016 in Washington, DC. Members of the public may attend the meeting in person, or watch it live-streamed. There will be opportunity for public comments during the meeting.
It is expected that the committee will meet four times in 2016, and then more frequently beginning in 2017. The committee’s charter also has been published, which includes an estimate of the annual cost of the operations of the committee as $4 million.