1st Monthly Health Insurance Marketplace Enrollment Report

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation has released the first monthly report on enrollment in the health insurance marketplaces established by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. During this initial monthly reporting period, 106,185 individuals selected plans from the marketplaces, and another 975,407 applied and received an eligibility determination, but have not yet selected a plan. An additional 396,261 have been determined or assessed eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Given the well-publicized challenges with the federal marketplace enrollment website, these numbers are clearly lowered than expected.

Of the people who have selected a plan, 79,391 (74.8 percent) enrolled though state-based marketplaces, while the other 26,794 people (25.2 percent) enrolled through the federally facilitated marketplace. Of the individuals who have been assessed or determined eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, state-based marketplaces accounted for 212,865 (53.7 percent) of those determinations, while the federally facilitated marketplace accounted for 183,396 (46.3 percent) of them. These numbers are even more disappointing for the federal government effort.

The good news is that there remains a high level of interest and engagement on the federal and state marketplaces: there have been an estimated 26,876,527 visitors on the state-based marketplace and federally-facilitated marketplace websites. In addition, there have also been an estimated 3,158,436 calls to the state-based marketplace and federally-facilitated marketplace call centers.

Link to Original Source

This entry was posted in Health Care Reform, Health Care Reform: General Analysis. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s