The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has produced this technical assistance brief for states considering Medicaid state plan amendments to implement the health homes authorized by section 27023 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The five considerations recommended by CMS are:
1. Educate partners about what health homes are and are not.
2. Identify potential building blocks for health home services.
3. Mine data to understand more about the eligible population.
4. Consider requesting Medicaid funds for health home planning.
5. Recognize the time-limited aspect of the enhanced federal-state reimbursement rate.