I am an independent consultant, working with non-profit organizations, government departments, and foundations. I provide analysis of public policies, facilitate meetings and plan events and conferences, and support the development and implementation of organizational and programmatic strategies. I have experience and expertise working on issues of health care policy, health care reform, health equity, immigration law and policy, Asian American and Pacific Islander communities, and LGBTQ issues.
I have provided consulting services for:
- California Pan-Ethnic Health Network
- National Partnership for Women & Families
- Consumers Union
- American Diabetes Association
- National Council on Interpreting in Health Care
- Kaiser Permanente National Diversity
- Oregon Health Authority Office of Equity and Inclusion
- Oregon Health Authority Transformation Center
- Connecticut Department of Social Services Medicaid Program
- California Department of Health Care Services
- California Health Care Safety Net Institute
- White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum
- Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations
- National Council of Asian Pacific Islander Physicians
- Asian and Pacific Islander Wellness Center
- Asian Counseling and Referral Services
- Asian American Recovery Services
- Asian Americans for Community Involvement
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Foundation
- Chinese Community Health Care Association
- San Francisco Hep B Free
- San Francisco Senior Center
- First 5 Alameda County Every Child Counts
- University of California San Francisco Center for the Health Professions
- University of California Berkeley School of Public Health
- George Washington University Center for Health Care Quality
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Insight Center for Community Economic Development
- Peterson Center on Healthcare
- The California Endowment
- San Francisco Foundation
- Connecticut Health Foundation
- Grantmakers in Health
- Unbound Philanthropy
Prior to establishing my consulting practice in 2010, I was a program officer and program director at The California Endowment for seven years, directing the statewide foundation’s work on language access, cultural competency, health care disparities, health workforce diversity, and health information technology. I managed grants to national accreditation organizations, health professions education institutions, hospitals and health systems, health plans, physician associations, local health departments, community health centers, and community-based organizations throughout California.
I previously worked at the Asian and Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF), directing health policy and programs for seven years, and at the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, as a civil rights and immigration law attorney for ten years. At APIAHF, we led community efforts that resulted in the creation of the first White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, and I was the principal author of the first report from the President’s Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
I have been a member of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS and have served on expert advisory panels for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health, Office of National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Institutes of Health; Institute of Medicine; National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute; National Quality Forum; Joint Commission; Institute for Healthcare Improvement; Families USA; California Department of Health Services; and California Health Interview Survey.
I have served on the board of directors of Cal eConnect, Funders for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Issues, National Minority AIDS Council, California Budget Project, Northern California Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights and Services, Asian and Pacific Islander Wellness Center, and Gay Asian Pacific Alliance Community HIV Project.